Ever since I've known my husband I've called him Hon. As in Honey, but the short form (I think this was during my Friends craze and Jennifer Aniston called everyone Honey) "Hi, Hon. How are you doing?" "Hon, could you please take out the trash?" "Hon, do you know where the keys are?" "Hon, do you have any plans for the weekend?"
Hon, Hon, Hon.
The funny thing is that after a while, he started calling me Hon, too. "Hon, do you need the car tomorrow? Hon, can I help you with anything? Hon, do you like this shirt?" Hon, Hon, Hon.
What I didn't realize was how observant little 18 month olds really are.
My little one was having a mega tantrum, screaming "MAMAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!" (she calls me the French way, maman) I always tell her that I won't listen to her until she uses a nice voice to address me. This usually means she screams it out until she realizes that no one is paying any attention, and then will call me nicely, saying, "Maman, up please?" And then I come and pick her up.
So anyways, she was having one of her flamboyant tantrums, and I told her the same thing as always," Charlotte, sweetie, I can't hear you when you scream like that. When you talk to me nicely I will be happy to help you." This time, for some reason, she stopped mid scream and came up to me, started caressing my shoulder, and said, "Hon?".
At first, I wasn't sure if I had heard her right. But then she kept caressing me and saying, "Hon, walk please?" I burst out laughing, realizing she was doing what Julien and I apparently do when we talk to each other. He always rubs my shoulder and says, "Hon?".
Now that Charlotte gets the reaction she wants, she does it all the time now, a big grin on her face. And it melts my heart every time she says it.
Friday, December 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
awesome. Love this post, hun.
Post a Comment