Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Kissing Disease


Every Tuesday, I bundle my little one up and drive her to day care. There are several reasons why I do this, but I think the main one is so that I can get a much needed break, and give her one too.

As much fun as it is washing the floor only to have her drop her milk all over it, fold clothing to have her throw all my nice clean piles on the floor, and tidy in one room while she destroys the other, I just need one day to myself where I don't need to take her grocery shopping. I mean, she's THAT kid. The one that has several hugemegaenormoussuperembarressing tantrums in the store. The one that screams bloody murder, causing everyone to stare and give dissaproving looks.

So I didn't think that it would be too much to ask. Just have her play with her buddies for one day a week, allowing me to clean my house in one go, get my shopping done quickly and with no meltdowns, and also have an hour or two to read.

This was all well and good. It was working wonderfully. Until the day she brought something home with her. Sore throat. Sniffles. High fever. Puking. Then, because I can't stay away from those chubby little cheeks, I came down with it. Except mine seemed a little worse. Sore armpits. Sore everything. I went to the doctor, and he ran some tests. His fears were confirmed: Mono. The kissing disease.

I remember in grade 5 someone came down with mono. We made fun of them, saying it was the kissing disease. Obviously they had come down with it while K-I-S-S-I-N-G in a tree. It was kind of those illnesses you dream about as a kid, because those poor patients stayed away from school for months. The thought of lying in bed playing nintendo and having my mother wait on me hand and foot was amazing.

Was I ever stupid. Mono is NOT fun. Now, because of my selfish desire to have some alone time, Charlotte got mono, and I am the most tired I have ever been. I drag myself out of bed in the morning, drag myself around the house all day, drag drag drag. I take lots of vitamins, and try to eat as well as I can, but it's sure slow going. It could take 6 months before I'm back to my old self. That's a long time.

On the bright side, Charlotte is fine. She just takes 2.5 hour naps now, something that is unprecedented in our home. So while I am not thrilled about this illness, it will get better, and my daughter is actually SLEEPING. I guess it's not so bad afterall.

No comments: