Monday, January 4, 2010

What Ever Happened to Little Miss Independant?

If you had asked me to describe myself a year ago, I guess I would have said that I'm a go-getter. A self starter. A take charge kind of girl. If you told me something couldn't be done, I would attempt it just to prove you wrong. I take the bull by the horns. I tackle problems logically and head on. I love a challenge. I laugh in the face of danger. Well, ok, maybe not that last one. But you get the picture. I'm an independant woman. Or at least I was.

I was planning a trip home for myself and my little girl, seeing as how I am off work for good in France. I thought about how wonderful it would be to see my family before my baby grows up and goes to university (yes, total exaggeration, I know) and how awesome it would be to actually see my mum and best buddy in person, because I really miss them. So I started looking for flights to get me there. At first, it was all good. I found a few flights that looked decent, and started to book them.

Then I got hit with a thought: how in the world am I going to get the suitcases with the baby and stroller? Checking them is no problem; Julien could help me with that. But what about on the other side? Are there people who can do that for you? How to I pick up a 50 pound suitcase and not leave my daughter or belongings unattended? How in the world do I push a stroller and the suitcase trolley through customs?

And then another nagging thought: how am I going to keep my squirming, curious, and cranky-when-sleep-deprived baby on my lap for a 15 hour flight? I can't keep her still for 5 minutes, much less 15 hours. How do I go to the bathroom? What do I do when my arms start cramping from holding her but there's turbulance and I'm not allowed to put her down? Where will she sleep, seeing as how she's too tall for the baby basinettes?

With all these questions, my trip has been postponed until I can figure out a solution to each and every problem. If someone were with me, they wouldn't even be an issue. But alone? I think it's something that's just too big for me, no matter how badly I want to go home. I've looked at it from all angles, and every time the same feeling comes back: sheer and utter fear. This is just something that I can't do myself. So much for being independant. And so much ffor Hakuna Matata.

If any of you bloggers out there have travelled by yourself internationally with a baby, please let me know how you did it. Or even if you have any advice about the logistics of it all, like the suitcases or bathroom issues, please let me know!
PS I did call the airline I had wanted to travel with and they were most unhelpful. They told me that there was no way the flight staff could hold my baby while I pee, and that the ground crew would not help me with suitcases, especially because there are simply not enough staff to do it.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Becky, I've only gone solo between US and Canada. I've done 10-18 hours of plane/bus travel. With one baby, with 2 babies, I maxed out with 2 toddlers and while pregnant. Brave is often stupid!

It isn't easy. But it isn't forever either. Vancouver airport customs carts have a little seat in the so I folded the stroller. You could also put her in a sling so you would be hands free. The umbrella stroller is better than a big fancy one. I would roll my suitcase forwards and hold the stroller facing backwards (using one handle) and everything rolled together just fine. Strangers are kind but you cant rely on them either.

I too said there should be someone I can HIRE at the airport to get me from gate to gate.

Travelling with my sister was the best thing ever. Do you have a friend you would love to take with you? Maybe offer to pay half the ticket?

heidi said...

i agree with shannon on the sling part and the umbrella stroller. so much easier to fold up. i traveled alone twice, once when tristan was 9 months old. nursing during takeoff and landing helps. lots and lots of snacks and toys and a portable dvd player (if she watches tv) really helps. and praying that you'll have a seat next to a sweet, grandmotherly type of lady is the best thing of all because then she can hold your baby while you go pee. i know its weird to think of leaving your kid with a stranger, but honestly, you're on a plane. how far could they get? the 2nd time i travelled alone i let him sit on the seat and asked the disgruntled gentleman next to me to watch him for just a sec while i went to the bathroom.

with the luggage, just make sure you only bring what you can pull/tow with one hand so that your other hand is free to push the stroller. get a direct flight if at all possible. even if it costs hundreds more its so worth it. vancouver is great with those free push carts.

and if everything goes to hell in a handbasket and she's screaming at the top of her lungs for an hour, just close your eyes and think "this too shall pass". ignore the dirty stares, you will get those whether your baby is an angel or not.

oh, and buy her a hard lollypop! we got tristan one of those and he was silent for over an hour, just sucking away on it.

good luck!