A hero is described as "a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities". So I must say that hands down, my Dad is my hero. His ability to make people feed at ease, his honesty, and integrity are admirable. The husband that he was, the father that he was, admirable. I watched him as he courageously battled cancer, and he fought with everything in him to the end. Courageous. He was the person always willing to help when nobody else would. He always put others first.
Dad, it's been 2 years today that you let go of our hands to take Jesus'. It's crazy how fast time has gone, and how much has happened since then. I really miss your advice; I'm glad now that you repeated yourself as many times as you did, because now it's easy to remember. I miss your big bear hugs. It sucks knowing that every time I go home you're not there. I'm thankful for the time I had with you. It hurts seeing families that are complete, because ours is just so empty without you. I'm sad that Charlotte will never know you, because you would have been the best grandpa. I'm happy that she shares your birthday; I know you would have been puffed with pride and would have told everyone you met. Now that I have her, I understand so much more the sacrifices that you made for me. I miss you so much words couldn't begin to describe it, so I won't even try. Thank you for the example of integrity, honesty, and hard worker that you were. Thank you for teaching me to be responsible. Thank you for being you. I love you. You are my hero.
Dad, it's been 2 years today that you let go of our hands to take Jesus'. It's crazy how fast time has gone, and how much has happened since then. I really miss your advice; I'm glad now that you repeated yourself as many times as you did, because now it's easy to remember. I miss your big bear hugs. It sucks knowing that every time I go home you're not there. I'm thankful for the time I had with you. It hurts seeing families that are complete, because ours is just so empty without you. I'm sad that Charlotte will never know you, because you would have been the best grandpa. I'm happy that she shares your birthday; I know you would have been puffed with pride and would have told everyone you met. Now that I have her, I understand so much more the sacrifices that you made for me. I miss you so much words couldn't begin to describe it, so I won't even try. Thank you for the example of integrity, honesty, and hard worker that you were. Thank you for teaching me to be responsible. Thank you for being you. I love you. You are my hero.
Mountains High by us Written by Martin Smith 2003
Sorrow came to visit us today
Was the longest day, was the loneliest day
Sorrow came to steal our hope away
Only tears can tell Of this holy hour
This mountain's high, too high for us
Sorrow came quicker than a fire
Was the longest day, was the loneliest day
I feel your hand, the warmth, your sweetest smile
But you slipped away, through the great divide
This mountains high, too high for us
Your ways are high, too high for us
3 comments:
Beautifully written, Becky.
You have honoured your Dad, and I know that, if he could, he would reply that he is so honoured to have had the privilege of being your Dad! His memory lives on in the lives of his family ...
Praying that you and your family will know God's comfort today ... "anniversary" days are hard, but they are also a wonderful time to remember.
Hugs, Audrey
thinking of you today Becky, and remembering your dad..
val
This is such a wonderful tribute to your dad. Thank you for sharing such a tender piece of your heart.
Post a Comment